Sunday, February 2, 2014

Upcycled Food Container Gardens

So today I thought I would share a fun tip for using up old plastic food containers...
While I try not to buy items in plastic packaging, on my tiny budget (and in my tiny apartment) there are some things I still do buy in plastic, like gallon milk jugs. I'm sure there are plenty of readers out there with all sorts of plastic containers sitting in the recycle bin.
I don't currently have access to many pots, so I decided to take my old food containers and put them to work so that I can use less of them in the future... Some containers, food scraps, and a little organic potting soil have been transformed into a pretty cool window garden. Mine aren't the prettiest, but one could easily decorate the containers to spruce it up a bit.

Here's how its done...

Step One:
Gather clean plastic containers (I like gallon jugs, large spinach containers from Costco, peanut butter jars, etc) and non-recyclable packaging (like Trader Joe's produce packaging)

Step Two:
Cut small holes/slits into the bottom of the container to allow water to drain out. If this is a basic container, move onto the next step. If it is a gallon container, cut around the top of the jug where the handle connects back in.

Step Two Part B
If you have a small yogurt or peanut butter container, you can cut off the handle of the milk jug and cut a hole near the base of the handle to allow the smaller container to sit in the jug.  No need to be precise; just cut off the bottom of the smaller container and stick it in the hole. Seal it with duct or electrical tape. This is a simple tip for maximizing container output: replacing the empty space of the handle with planting space big enough for items like lettuces, basil, cilantro, etc.


Step Three:
Fill the bottom of the container with non-recyclable packaging like the TJ's produce bags or lids from plastic containers to substitute for rocks in providing drainage... also nice because it's lighter-weight than using rocks.

Step Four:
Cover the plastic with non-bleached compostable paper (brown paper bags or used napkins are great for this). This is an optional step, but it adds biomass to the container while helping prevent dirt from coming out through the holes in the bottom of the containers. 

Step Five:
Add in ORGANIC food scraps (some of my favorites are eggshells, coffee grounds, and banana peels). It is important to use organic scraps to prevent residual pesticides in the soil... I learned on Paul Wheaton's Survival Summit Talk that the pesticides can remain in the soil for years. And yes, I do throw "raw" compost in my pots and have gotten pretty good results. Why let all that heat, water and other nutrients go to waste? 

Step Six:
Add in organic potting soil, or get some quality organic dirt from a friend. I sometimes mix in a little bit of compost/food scraps throughout the soil (except the top layer to prevent flies).

Step Seven:
Make sure there is a tray or plate under your container so you don't ruin your floors with water dripping out of the pots :)

Step Eight:
Plant, water, love, and enjoy your delicious harvest

Pics coming soon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment